Saturday, 4 February 2017

Rhoda Fleming by George Meredith


Rhoda Fleming by George Meredith
First published in the UK in 1865.

Where to buy this book:
Download the ebook free from Amazon.com / Amazon.co.uk
Buy from independent booksellers via Abebooks
Buy the paperback from The Book Depository
Buy the paperback from Waterstones

How I got this book:
Downloaded from ForgottenBooks

My rating: 1 of 5 stars

A novel of two Kentish sisters, the fair Dahlia and the dark haired Rhoda. One of Meredith's lesser known and most tragic works featuring a merciless impeachment of respectability.

I gave up reading Rhoda Fleming after seventy pages. Meredith's prose style is far too verbose and unwieldy for my tastes and I am not even sure I know what is going on in the story. The dialogue is unbelievably long-winded, but scenes abruptly jump location with no explanation which results in strange narrative gaps. I scrolled forward to the end of my ebook wanting to find out how much more I had to read and found another three hundred pages, plus the ForgottenBooks pdf edition ceases mid-sentence! If I had ploughed on, I don't even have the ending! (I haven't linked to this edition above!)


Books by George Meredith / Victorian fiction / Books from England

No comments:

Post a Comment